- Hits: 15986
The history of Flint Kaserne dates back to 1934 at which time the National Socialists were looking for a suitable place in which to train their SS officers. Although the construction of the Kaserne was not completed until 1937, the first class of SS officer candidates entered in 1936. The building costs are said to have amounted to about 32,000,000.00 Reichsmark (approximately $13,000,000). After 1940, men from all countries under German control were trained at Flint Kaserne to become SS officers.
During the war, Bad Toelz was a large medical center. The eight large military hospitals housed about 6,000 wounded soldiers. For this reason the citizens wanted Bad Toelz to be declared an "open city". However, declaring it an "open city" did not agree with the plans of the SS officers in Flint Kaserne, and so when a white flag was flown from the church steeple, they tore it down and replaced is with a Swastika. Bad Toelz and Flint Kaserne were scheduled to be bombed by 25 planes on the night of 30 April 1945, but a heavy snowfall intervened. The next day was clear and bright and on this day, the commander of Flint Kaserne ordered all units to withdraw up the Blomberg Mountain. The first United States troops to move in were from the 36th Division. The political Nazi Leader committed suicide, after he had poisoned his wife and three children.
At the end of World War II from May 1945 to April 1946, General George S. Patton Jr's 3rd Army made his headquarters at Flint Kaserne. A plaque in memoriam to General Patton is mounted in the Commandant's office. The US Army 1st Division had its headquarters here until early 1951. In late October of 1951 the 43rd Division sent the 3rd Battalion of the 169th Infantry Regiment and the 192nd Field Artillery Battalion to Bad Toelz. They remained until June 1952. In the fall of 1952 the 43rd Division set up its NCO Academy in Flint Kaserne, but this was closed in the summer of 1953. D Co 508th MP Battalion was also at the Kaserne at this time.
In November of 1953 the 10th Special Forces Group Airborne arrived at Flint Kaserne from the United States (Ft. Bragg) and in October 1958 the 7th United States Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy arrived from Munich. Units of the 10th Special Forces remained at Flint Kaserne till June 1991 when the Kaserne was returned to the German Government.
Flint Kaserne is now being renovated, many of the outer buildings have been removed but the main part of the Kaserne is being turned into offices. Notice the large spiral office building where the parade ground use to be. The Kaserne is now known as Flint Center. All dependent housing outside the Kaserne and the main Chapel are still intact.